The year I turned 29, I made a list of 30 things that I wanted to accomplish before I turned the big 3-0. 29 turned out to be a pretty crazy year, so crazy that I must have just scrapped the list and thrown it out because I can’t find it anywhere. That being the case, I decided to start the 40/40 Project: 40 Things to Accomplish Before 40.
Become a morning person. With enough coffee, I can do anything! Buy a house with a big yard. (See 6, 7, and 8.) Create a warm, inviting, comfortable home, where Scarlett, Leo, and their friends want to spend time. Become a good cook. This requires that I actually cook, but stranger things have happened. Write a recipe. Grow a vegetable garden. Raise chickens in a backyard coop. For eggs. No, no, not to eat.(Just discovered the smell of chicken poop makes me dry heave. This one has to go.) Grow orchids. Keep them alive.
- Learn to meditate, possibly getting it started with a silent retreat.
Build a library. Brian and I both suffer from bibliomania. Needless to say, we have more than enough books already.
- Vacation in Mexico, preferably on a beach. This does not mean Cancun. Or Tijuana.
Learn to forgive and forget. Let go of residual fears and anger.
- Practice yoga every day.
Find a cardio routine and stick to it.(I got a treadmill, y’all. All my troubles are over, and I am at home—literally.)
- Take ballet class again (or barre, let’s be real). Be mistaken for a ballerina or an ortho wife.
- Learn to live on 80% of my income, save 10%, and tithe 10%.
- Pay off my student loans.
- Set up a retirement account.
- Start donating to my alma maters. I think it may be bad karma not to.
Build a Habitat for Humanity Home. Put together my own cabaret show.
- Learn to play the guitar.
And the ukulele. Buy a piano.
- Record an album of my own songs. Cultivate the courage to share it.
- Write and publish a book or memoir.
Play Sally Bowles. (See post.) Find a hobby unrelated to music. Take French lessons.
- Learn to paint.
- Have a painting exhibited at the MOBA.
- Donate blood every 56 days.
- Read a book a week.
- Keep a daily journal.
- Create a personal uniform.
- Complete the Estill Voice certification.
Raise well-adjusted, empathetic, independent children. Get legally married to Brianand go on a proper honeymoon.
- Sing a weekly gig.
Work full-time as a musician.
Count: 22/40 with two years to go